- Council Community Waste and Recycling Centres
- Council Waste and Recycling Centres with Landfills
- Council Residential Waste Services
- Council Residential Recycling Services
- Council Kerbside Green Waste Bin Service
- Council Commercial Services
- Local Recycling Business Directory
- Local Charitable Organisations
Council Residential Recycling Services
Council picks up your yellow top recycling bin once a fortnight on the same week day that your weekly waste bin is collected. The recycling calendar helps you keep track of which week is recycling week.
Recycling calendar 2012-2013 (290kb)*
* Please note that the first page of the attached calendar is blank. Please scroll down.
Please Remember to Recycle
All household plastics bottles and containers.
Aluminium and steel cans and aerosols.
Bottles and jars made only of glass.
Clean cardboard, newspaper, loose paper, junk mail, magazines and cartons.
Simple recycling rules
It is important that only the items listed are placed in the recycling bin. Recycling is easy! Please follow these simple recycling rules.
- Only put in items from the kitchen, bathroom or laundry; not the garage or garden shed.
- Rinse containers.
- Make sure aerosol cans are empty.
- Only glass bottles and jars.
- Don't use plastic bags.
- Please don't wrap or bag recyclables. Just put them in the bin loose.
- Be safe.
- All recyclables are sorted by hand, so think safe - please, never put syringes in with your recycling.
Council has prepared a number of fact sheets to help you understand what can and can't go in your household recycling bin, however if you are still unsure, please Contact Us
What can I recycle? (280kb)
A-Z Waste and recycling guide (173kb)
PLEASE DO NOT PUT IN YOUR RECYCLING BIN
Please DO NOT put these items in your household recycling bin. They cannot be recycled at the Carrara Materials Recovery Facility and may pose a danger to staff working there. They may also contaminate other recyclable material, which then cannot be recycled and ends up in landfill.
NO plastic bags
NO disposable nappies
NO clothing, shoes or accessories
NO Pyrex or heat-resistant glass
NO crockery, china or ceramics
NO plastic without a recycling symbol
NO polystyrene or Styrofoam
NO broken mirrors or glassware
NO light bulbs or fluorescent tubes
NO electrical equipment
NO food scraps, garden waste or dead animals
NO tiles, bricks, stones or soil
NO general waste
Still unsure about what to do with your waste and other recyclables?
The Council’s handy A-Z Waste and recycling guide details what you can do with all types of waste.
At most Council waste and recycling centres, the following recycling options for residents are available:
- green waste
- motor oil
- aluminium cans
- empty gas bottles up to 9kg
- scrap metal
At Helensvale and Merrimac waste and recycling centres, additional recycling options are also available, such as:
- eWaste (electronic and electrical equipment and appliances)
- plastic bags, bubblewrap, thin film plastic
- household hazardous waste (paint, chemicals, etc.)
If you need more help, contact us with any questions on waste and recycling.
Next page: Council Kerbside Green Waste Bin Service - - Updated on: Monday 08-Apr-13